Sunday, May 9, 2010

Staten Island's Finest

Brittany Rubino is a senior at St. Joseph Hill Academy. Some of my loyal readers might notice Brittany's name from my post about the "Hill Singers." She was one of the highlighted solo performers in the choral concert. She was thrilled to answer some questions for me about being a performer on Staten Island as well as some of her dreams and experiences.

MN: Where were you born and raised?
BR: I was born in Brooklyn, New York and raised in Staten Island, New York. 

MN: How old were you when you were first introduced to theater?
BR: I was first introduced to theater around the age of five. 



MN: What is your favorite Broadway play?
BR:My favorite Broadway play would definitely be Wicked. I absolutely love the music and the story line is so touching. 


MN: What is your dream role?
BR: My dream role is Reno Sweeney from the musical Anything Goes.



MN:What theater groups have you been involved in on Staten Island?
BR: In addition to my high school’s theater department, I have been involved with the Actor’s Workshop and the Actors Children’s Theater (ACT)

MN: Have you performed in places outside of our little borough?
BR: Recently I have not, but when I was younger I performed a lot in Manhattan as well as New Jersey.



MN:What has been your favorite role that you played so far?
BR: My favorite role so far would be Belle in Beauty and the Beast.

MN: What is your favorite thing to do sing, act or dance? (If you can choose.)
BR: It is a really close tie between acting and singing! (I’m not the greatest dancer in the world) However, if I had to chose, I would pick singing because it makes me feel very calm and I have so much fun with it! 


MN: Has there been anyone in your life who has influenced you in the theater world?
BR:An actress in the theater world who has influenced me is Sutton Foster. 


MN: Have you taken any lessons or practiced with any voice teachers?
BR: I haven’t had steady vocal lessons since I was about 9 years old, but recently I studied with Katie Agresta! (one of Bon Jovi’s vocal coaches)

MN: What is the most difficult thing about performing?
BR: The most difficult thing about performing, for me, is remembering the choreography of the dance numbers!



MN: Do you plan on pursuing this passion in college?
BR: Although I am not majoring in Theater, I do plan to pursue my passion! I will audition for any theater opportunities that come my way!


I would like to take this time to thank Brittany for taking the time out to answer these questions for me. I was surprised by some of her responses because after seeing her preform I would have bet that she would have had heavy training in singing. It just goes to show how some people truly have an innate talent. I want to congratulate and wish Brittany the best of luck as she graduates this June and goes on to pursue the world of higher education.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to hear from a girl in high school who is still early in her acting career.

    ReplyDelete