Friday, April 30, 2010

"It Is Not a Dream, It Is Our Reality"

Susan Uberti is currently the director of the Academy of St. Dorothy Drama Club program here on Staten Island. Check out this previous post for more about the program. 
Susan has been my mentor and friend since I was in the fifth grade. I have worked with her as an actress and more recently beside her as a choreographer. She has much experience on both sides of the stage that have helped children all over the island. Anyone who has worked with "Miss Susan" knows that she is not just your director, but someone with a heart of gold who is always willing to help you (personally or to grow as an actor/actress.)

MN: Where were you born and raised?

SU: I was born  in Manhattan but my family moved to Brooklyn when I was a year and a half old

MN: Did you always have a passion for theater?

SU: We didn’t  have the financial means to be exposed to Broadway as such, but we did listen to the music and watched all the theatrical events on TV. This began my journey, the passion came later in High School. 

MN: Was there anyone who put you on this path to acting?

SU: Yes, Sr Joseph Ignatius, my very strict Spanish teacher, who was put in charge of the High School play. 

MN: What were some of your best experiences as an actress?

SU: The first time I took a curtain call, I couldn’t believe they were clapping for me. As a matter of fact I actually looked behind me to see who was there. My first standing ovation for my portrayal of Mae Petersen in Bye Bye Birdie. The audience recognition and applause when I returned after a two year absence to play General Matilda B. Cartwright in Guys and Dolls. Last and my very favorite one:  the look on my parent s’ faces when I sang , “Not While I’m Around” directly to them  from the stage at our reunion show in 1991. 
 
MN: If you had to pick your favorite role, which would it be and why?

SU: That’s a hard one, because each of them hold a special place for a different reason. But if I had to choose, it would have to be Aunt Eller in Oklahoma, my debut performance. That began my journey, my passion and my discovery of the real “me”. 

MN: What is your favorite musical and why?

SU: Man of La Mancha. I guess because I too dream the impossible dream and if truth be known, like Don Quijote, it is not a dream, it is our reality! 

MN: Do you feel more comfortable being behind the stage directing or being on the stage performing?

SU: At this point I guess I would say directing for so many reasons. But all in all I would say that I have had equal happiness and satisfaction doing both.
 

MN: How long have you been the director for the Can-Do Kids?

SU: 11 wonderful years. 

MN: What was the first show you worked on with the program?

SU: “I remember Mama” 

MN: Where did the name "Can-Do Kids" originate?
SU: Originally, the children and I got the inspiration from the song in “Guys and Dolls.” From the beginning, “can’t” was a dirty word and “love” was the only way.

MN: I'm sure it is difficult to sometimes get through to the young children you direct, what is the best advice you can give others when instructing children?

SU: Teach and direct as a collaborator and never a dictator. Remember  what it was like to be a kid. Always  come from a stand point of  “Do as I  do” never just “As I say”. Believe in them, see each and everyone of their special talents, and never give up even when they start to. Push them  relentlessly towards excellence and they will never disappoint you. Hold them close and protect their very fragile egos and hearts, you’ll never regret it.  

MN: How do you feel being part of the drama club can help these kids in the long run?

SU: I believe it teaches them many things. It gives them a good sense of themselves as they learn to present themselves in the best possible way. This will be useful not only on a stage, but at a job interview, a business presentation , a college interview etc. It  teaches them the importance of working as a team for a common goal. It gives them a sense of responsiblity and how their actions not only affect them but the group as a whole. It teaches them, discipline and focus. And I guess best of all, It make them feel really good about themselves and perhaps begins their journey of self discovery and passion.
 



I would like to extend a special and heartfelt thank you to Susan for donating her time and for helping me out once again. 
Don't forget to check out the Academy of St. Dorothy's Drama Club performance next March! 
 

2 comments:

  1. Good Q & A with an expert on Local theater! There aren't many other people who can say they have directed on Staten Island for 11 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I am picking wild Mushroom Growing I make perfectly sure that I don't acquire all edible mushrooms out of the genuine position where I can see them. I keep behind (really don't even feel!) about hundreds of edible mushrooms to produce more to make sure that those species could be protected in the nature.

    ReplyDelete